J-Source is hiring an associate editor
By Bruce Gillespie, Editor-in-Chief
J-Source is hiring an associate editor to begin work on or about Dec. 1. This is a full-time, unionized position based at J-Source’s Editorial Centre at Ryerson University, in Toronto.
The associate editor has a big job, which includes following and reporting on news about journalism and journalists in Canada, managing our social media and editing content and coordinating the contributions of volunteer editors and writers across the country. We’re looking for someone with a passion for Canadian journalism who likes to keep busy.
Here are the qualifications for the job:
- Successful completion of a post-secondary program in journalism and a minimum of one year of relevant experience working as a journalist in a news-gathering environment is required, preferably via online or multimedia avenues.
- Excellent written communication skills are required to write and compile relevant, original content for the J-Source website, to compile weekly e-newsletters and to provide ideas to editors for their content and support.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills are required to coordinate the assignment of articles for J-Source on behalf of the editor-in-chief and section editors.
- Strong time-management skills and flexibility are required to effectively prioritize and ensure completion of assigned work, to change priorities as the need arises and to work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent knowledge of word processing applications and Drupal or similar content management systems is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to client service—specifically to students, staff, faculty and external editors.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
Interested candidates should email a CV and cover letter to J-Source’s Business Manager, D’Arcy Coulson (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than 5 pm on Friday, November 21.